Monday, June 21, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan


It's not that far from Evanston to Naperville, but Chicago suburbanites Will Grayson and Will Grayson might as well live on different planets. When fate delivers them both to the same surprising crossroads, the Will Graysons find their lives overlapping and hurtling in new and unexpected directions. With a push from friends new and old- including the massive, and massively fabulous, Tiny Cooper, offensive lineman and musical theater auteur extraordinaire- Will and Will begin building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history's most awesome high school musical
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan is not what I had expected and I was delightfully surprised by how clever and different from many young adult novels it is. The story follows two different people both named Will Grayson and shows how their lives intertwine and overlap. The novel is narrated from the perspective of both boys alternating chapters and this shows the individual personalities and outlooks separately, which I found fun and insightful. The two boys meet in an unlikely and comical situation, which marks the start of their friendship. At first it seems that the only thing that the two Wills share is their name, but as the story progresses it becomes clear that this is not the case. I really enjoyed this novel, but compared to John Green's other works the story was not nearly as engaging. Perhaps after reading Looking for Alaska and Papertowns it is difficult to meet my high expectations from John Green as those are two of my favorite novels. Will Grayson, Will Grayson's storyline may not have been my favorite, but it still left me wanting to hear more from the characters when I finished. This novel's fresh take on high school is original and the portrayal friendship is in a new and contemporary way. I recommend Will Grayson, Will Graysonand and I think after reading this you will be looking to read John Greens other works as each is better than the next. 2.5 Cupcakes!

1 comment: